Friday, April 16, 2010

Shoo fly pie and all things Lancaster County


Shoo fly pie, originally uploaded by mfcstotler.

Years ago, I lived in Lancaster County Pennyslvania. I picked up some loves. Shoo Fly pie was one. Visits to farmers markets was another. Wilburs chocolate.....oh yes. Those things just scream my childhood. (although Wilburs stopped carrying lemon drops in their store and that makes me sad). Today Todd and drove to Lancaster County and hit up some places so that I could indulge in m childhood memories. We hit up Wilburs and I bought a small piece or two of chocolate. We hit up The Green Dragon. I did not do what I used to do...which would be to by a full shoo fly pie. I just made sure that we went to a place for dinner that had a decent wet bottom shoo fly pie. And yes....I indulged. Stop curling your lips....shoo fly pie is super yummy.....how I describe it to people...it's kinda like a pecan pie...~~a little sweeter~~ but this has no pecans! Yes, that picture is the actual piece of pie that I ate. I was in full out orgasmic pleasure while eating it too!

I tracked EACH and every bite that I ate today. (ooohhh wait...I have to go on and put my chocolate covered pretzels! I forgot those). I've drank a fair amount of water. I've done as well as possible.

The victory came at dinner. We were at a buffet (The Family Cupboard for those of you that know the Lancaster area). I started with a plate of veggies. The only thing non-veggie on the plate was about 3 teaspoons of mac-n-cheese and about 3 teaspoons of stuffing/dressing. I LOVED everything on that plate. The second plate I went back and got some mashed potatoes with chicken gravy......a piece of ham with some pineapple sauce.....some macaroni salad and a whole wheat dinner roll. I took a bite of the mashed potatoes.......I thought about it and decided to not eat them. Mine taste better (these were instant...why should I waste my points on instant, when I don't even serve those at my house...it's real or nothing). Pushed those aside. I do have to say that I ate the mac salad. I took one bite of the ham. I haven't had ham in ages. I eat pork very rarely, only a hair more than I eat beef. That bite was NASTY! EWWW. Instead of forcing myself to eat it for the sake of eating, that piece of ham was pushed over by the mashed potatoes. No problem...I'll eat my roll. I buttered it up.. But it just didn't hit the spot...so I ate 1/4 of it and that went on top of the potatoes and the plate was pushed away. I didn't eat stuff I didn't like nor want very much! Yes, it was a waste of food...but better to waste food versus shovel it into my body mindlessly.

We got to our hotel. I did 40 minutes of swimming. I didn't go to thefitness center...but instead same in the pool...my legs and arms moving the whole time!!!!

7 comments:

Reese said...

Good for you for making smart choices! I have never had or heard of shoe fly pie, but it looks yummy :) Hope you are having a great time!

Julie, The Accidental Fat Chick said...

Great job at the buffet! I'm that way when we go to a buffet... I'll take a bite & if its not delicious I won't waste the calories on it. The pie definitely looks worth spluring for! :)

lindalou said...

I live 2 miles from Wilbur, and behind wilbur is my gym...Tims gym...yikes.
I come out of the gym and smell the chocolate. I step out my front door and sometimes smell the chocolate. No wonder I'm a sugar addict. Hope you had a good time in Lancaster county.

Donna B said...

So proud of you! Good job! Have my tracker out and ready to go for your visit this weekend. At least we should earn some activity points biking tomorrow! See ya soon..........oh the time is dragging...

Manon~ said...

Shoo Fly pie looks like 'Gyspy tart' - only anyone who went to school with me would know what Gypsy tart was like - :) One of those things you would never forget.

~closed~ said...

Ohhhhhh shoo fly pie. I LOVE Shoo Fly pie! I used to live in PA. My husband and I took a trip back there last November. We drove through Lancaster and had dinner at The Family Cupboard also. I remember eating the mac salad and stuffing, primarily. Had a piece of shoo fly there and also more from an Amish bakery. The Amish CAN BAKE! YUM.

SeaShore said...

You did really well not "eating it anyway" when it came to the stuff that was not worth the points!