Reasons why I'm a huge proponent of zumba.
1. The hour flies by. It is face paced music with a good beat that helps the time FLY by!
2. Modifiable. Zumba is awesome in that it can be modified. If you are at a lower level of fitness you can tap your toes in time with the music. If you are medium level you can side step. If you are at a high level you can jump it. A good instructor will give the modifications to the group. Some days I am full of vigor and just rock my work out at the highest energy level.....but some days I go and I have to dial it back and lower the intensity level. Zumba allows me to do that.
3. Zumba is not just dancing. It combines dance steps with fitness moves. Those dreaded lunges, squats and jumping jacks (amongst others) get slipped into the songs choreography so that while you know you are doing them, your mind isn't screaming about it. (yeah, it's a mind game).
4. Variety. Zumba has tons of different levels certifications that instructors can get. There is zumba toning (zumba with toning sticks to help ton muscles), aqua zumba (zumba in a pool), sentao (zumba with a chair.....don't let the chair fool you, it's a KILLER workout), zumba gold (zumba that's even toned down further for people in their golden years), zumbatonics (kids I believe), etc etc etc.
5. It's a great workout. It has lots of work to help slim down and shape the body! And don't we all want to be shapely???
I could wax poetic about zumba, but I wont' continue. I do have zumba for my Xbox kinect. I use it and like the workout. But there is just a vibe and energy in a class that I personally love. It's not for everyone...but I would encourage everyone to try it just once. :-)
I have sat back on this journey and learned many things about myself. The one thing that I've figured out but I just struggle with changing is the mentality of "I can't do that now...I will wait until I'm at my forever weight." That was one of my thoughts with zumba....I'll do it when I get to a better weight. You know what I'm talking about...it's statements like.....I'm not going to buy new clothes now, I'm going to wait until I lose the weight. I'm not going to go on that big vacation now, I want to be thin and gorgeous first. I'm not going to do this or that until I drop the weight. Well I'm here to say Why the heck not? Why does weight have to define everything. We have to love ourselves as we are right now. The person that we are inside right now. That is the key ingredient to losing the weight....loving ourselves. You see, if we don't love ourselves, then we won't value ourselves enough to make the effort that it takes to lose the weight. It's a vicious cycle. We don't feel worthy of doing what we want now because we are bigger. That parlays into our efforts to lose the weight because self worth plays a BIG roll in weight loss. And if our self worth keeps us from losing the weight, then how in the world will we EVER get to the weight loss goal in order for us to do all of the 'when I get to my forever weight' things? I'm rambling, but I don't know how to say it better. I'm going to endeavor to not let my excess weight (that is temporarily clinging to my body) hold me back. If I want to go to a nude beach, I'm going to say "to Hell with it....I'm doing it!" (luckily for me, that's not something I think I will EVER say though...haa haaa haa..but if I did....)
I will leave this post with a bit of a story.....
Once there was a girl named MaryFran. She had a pair of pants that were HUGE on her. She got into the bad habit of not unbuttoning and unzipping her pants. She would just pull them on and off without that hassle. One day...lets say it was a Friday...probably January 18th, maybe the year 2013. (haa haa haa) she was getting ready to go to work and was in a rush because as typical, she had messed around with housework all morning and found herself crushed for time. She hopped out of the shower, dried off and quickly grabbed these pants. She pulled them up and immediately put on her shirt and then was out the door. About 45 minutes after getting to work, this poor girl put her hands in her pocket and noticed something funny about the pockets. She pulled and prodded the pockets trying to figure out why there was only room in her pockets for her fingers and not her whole hand. She was so confused. She started to look more closely at the pants and that is when she noticed. Why yes......she had pulled her pants on and had worn them backwards for the first 45 minutes of work, even as she waited on customers! She quickly righted the wrong of course. But it did make her laugh so hard that she was crying (and of course she told her co-workers who laughed just as hard).........just like she hopes it makes you laugh. (yes, this is a VERY true story!)